MDMA 2015 Annual Meeting
*Speakers will be added as confirmed
Click Here for a PDF of the Agenda
Wednesday, April 29, 2015
3:00pm - 5:00pm - Pre-Registration
Attendees are encouraged to come and pick up their meeting booklet, nematic and other information prior to the opening reception.
5:30pm - 7:00pm - Opening Reception
Enjoy networking with medical technology executives and other industry leaders while hearing from the lead Republican sponsor of the medical device tax legislation. We will also pay tribut to the late MDMA founder and longtime Board Member, Thomas "Tommy" Thompson.
- The Honorable Erik Paulsen, Congressman (MN-3)
Thursday, April 30, 2015
7:30am - 8:45am - Networking Breakfast
8:45am - 9:00am - Welcome and Opening Remarks
MDMA's Chairman of the Board and MDMA's President and CEO will provide a review of Congressional activities and work with regulatory agencies to protect America's global leadership position in medical technology.
- Scott Huennekens, President & CEO, Volcano Corp., MDMA Chairman
- Mark Leahey, President & CEO, MDMA
9:00am - 9:30am - 21st Century Cures: What it Means for MedTech Innovators
about Senate and House efforts to ignite innovation in the medical
technology sector, and what some of the legislative proposals are to
accelerate the discovery, development and delivery of therapies to
- The Honorable Joe Pitts, Congressman (R-PA) and Health SubCommittee Staff
9:30am - 10:00am - The Delivery of Healthcare in the 21st Century
from a leading medical technology executive and investor about the
critical role med tech plays in improving care and reducing overall
healthcare costs. This comprehensive presentation will also examine the
critical importance of having an efficient regulatory and reimbursement
environment in place to promote innovation.
Paul LaViolette, Managing Partner & Chief Operating Officer, SV Life Sciences
10:00am - 10:15am - Networking Break
10:15am - 11:00am - Ensuring Patient Access to New Therapies
This session will discuss the current landscape impacting patient access to new technologies, and ways to better incorporate the patient perspective and coverage policies moving forward.
- Marc Boutin, JD, Chief Executive Officer, National Health Council
- James Chambers, PhD, MPharm, Assistant Professor, the Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Tufts Medical Center
11:00am - 11:45am - Understanding Today's Patent Landscape: Challenges, Changes & Reforms
While the America
Invents Act continues to shape the patent landscape, broad new efforts
are underway that would dramatically shift patent enforcement. Learn how
recent court decisions and legislation currently being debated in
Congress would change your ability to protect your IP, and what is being
done to stop it.
- Eb Bright, Executive Vice President & General Counsel, ExploraMed
- Steve Jensen, Partner, Knobbe, Martens, Olson and Bear, LLP
- Angela Sykes, Director, Technology Center, United States Patent and Trademark Office
11:45am - 1:00pm - Keynote Luncheon
Hear first-hand from one of the Leaders in the U.S. Senate about the Congressional agenda and what policies will be addressed impacting medical technology innovation.
- The Honorable Amy Klobuchar, Senator (MN)
1:15pm - 2:15pm - CDRH Update - Town Hall Q&A
The Director of
the CDRH will hold an interactive discussion with attendees and provide
the latest insights and updates on what the agency is focusing on in
2015 and beyond. The town hall is a rare opportunity to engage in a
Q&A session with the Center Director and leading executives of the
medical technology industry.
- Jeffrey Shuren, MD, Director, Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH)
2:15pm - 2:30pm - Congressional Fly-In Participants Depart for Capitol Hill
2:30pm - 5:00pm - Meet Your State Delegation on Capitol Hill - Congressional Fly-In
Congressional Fly-In Meeting participants will attend Hill meetings with their respective Senators and Representatives to discuss issues affecting the medical technology industry.
5:30pm - 7:00pm - MDMA Chairman's Reception
Enjoy networking with medical technology executives, government officials and other industry leaders while honoring a public official who is a strong voice in Congress to restore predictability and transparency in the regulatory process and to eliminate the onerous medical device tax.
- The Honorable Dan Coats, Senator, (R-IN)
Friday, May 1, 2015
7:30am - 8:30am - Networking Breakfast
8:30am - 9:30am - The Cost of Care, and Why it Matters for Your Technology
With ongoing debates over the nation's health care costs and its impact on budget deficits and economic growth, it is increasingly important to demonstrate the value your technology provides to patients and the healthcare system. Various stake holders in the health care ecosystem will discuss their perspectives on value and how the trends will impact the development of your technology.
- Bruce Meyer, MD, MBA, Executive Vice President for Health System Affairs & Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Sean Tunis, MD, MSc, Founder, President & Chief Executive Officer, Center for Medical Technology Policy
- Vince Ventimiglia, President, Leavitt Partners Collaborative Advocates
9:30am - 10:15am - CMS Update: Navigating the Changing Reimbursement Environment
While Congress and CMS continue to update and experiment with reimbursement models, hear from one of the leading experts about what to expect in the future of coding, coverage and payment for medical technologies.
- Sean Cavanaugh, Deputy Administrator & Director of the Center for Medicare at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
10:15am - 10:30am - Networking Break
10:30am - 11:30am - Compliance and MedTech Innovation: Lessons from Top Industry Experts
Post-market and various other compliance issues have become a top industry concern, yet often companies are ill-prepared to prevent problems before they occur, and how to handle them once they do. Learn from those who have been on the front lines dealing with the Department of Justice, FDA and other government investigators on what you need to know in today's environment.
- Philip Brewster, Brewster Law Firm, LLC
- Don Franke, Consulting Counsel, Smiths Medical
- Jackie Huber, VP, Compliance, MDMA
11:30am - 12:30pm - International Opportunities, And Overcoming the Complexities They Bring
The global marketplace for medical technologies continue to expand, while also bringing new challenges as innovators seek to introduce their products. Hear from a panel of leading experts about market developments in Mexico and in key developed country markets including Japan, Germany, UK and France.
- Stephen Hull, Principal & Founder, Hull Associates
- Ed Rozynski, Vice President, Government Affairs, Intuitive Surgical
- Gerry Zapiain, Senior International Trade Specialist, Health Industries, U.S. Department of Commerce
12:30pm - 1:30pm - Closing Buffet Luncheon
Sessions and speakers are subject to change without notice. MDMA reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any program, whereupon full registration fees will be refunded or applied to the rescheduled program in accordance with the registrant's preference. In the event of canceled programs, MDMA assumes no responsibility for transportation, hotel, or other expenses incurred by registrants.