2014 Annual Meeting Agenda
MDMA 2014 Annual Meeting
click here to print Agenda
Confirmed speakers listed below. Additional speakers to be added once confirmed.
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
3:00pm - 5:00pm
Hall of Battles
Attendees are encouraged to come and pick up their meeting booklet, nametag and other information prior to the opening reception.
5:30pm - 7:00pm
Kick-off this year's meeting by hearing unique insights on the state of Congressional activities, and honoring a leading elected official for her work on behalf of medical technology, as well as her efforts to bridge the differences in Congress.
- The Honorable Kelly Ayotte, U.S. Senator (NH)
Thursday, May 15, 2014
7:00am - 8:00am
Networking BreakfastRegency B8:00am - 8:15am
Welcome and Opening Remarks
MDMA's Chairman of the Board and MDMA's President and CEO will provide a review of Congressional activities and work with regulatory agencies to protect America's global leadership position in medical technology.
- Daniel Moore, President & CEO, Cyberonics, MDMA Chairman
- Mark Leahey, President & CEO, MDMA
8:15am - 8:45am
8:45am - 9:45am
- The Honorable Joe Donnelly, U.S. Senator (IN)
The Impact of Medical Technology
Hear some of the amazing stories of how medical technology is making a difference in the lives of patients, and see cutting-edge technologies up close and transforming the quality of life.
9:45am - 10:15am
- Russ Angold, Co-Founder & CTO, Ekso Bionics
- Gary Linfoot, Ambassador, Ekso Bionics
- Jenn Macievich, Physical Therapist, Ekso Bionics
- Steven W. Boyce, M.D., Surgical Director, Advanced Heart Failure Program, MedStar Heart Institute, MedStar Washington Hospital Center
Patient Safety SummitRegency C/D
More than 200,000 people die every year in the U.S. hospitals for reasons that could have been prevented. The Patient Safety Movement Foundation's goal is to reduce the number of preventable deaths to 0 by 2020. Improving patient safety will require a collaborative effort from all stakeholders including patients, healthcare providers, medical technology companies, government, employers, and private payors. Learn about the important work that over 100 med tech companies and hospitals have committed to, and the role our industry can continue to play.
10:15am - 10:30am
- The Honorable Robert Casey, Jr., U. S. Senator (PA)
- Joe Kiani, Chairman & CEO, Masimo Corporation
10:30am - 11:15am
Addressing the Rising Cost of Care
As projections continue to show that healthcare costs will make up an increasing percent of our nation's budget, learn how various players in the marketplace are confronting challenges, and the role med tech can play in providing solutions.
11:15am - 12:15pm
- Louis Jacques, M.D., Senior Vice President & Chief Clinical Officer, ADVI
- Jim Mazzo, Chairman & CEO, AcuFocus
- Shantanu Nundy, M.D., Managing Director, Clinical Innovation, Evolent Health
CDRH Update - Town Hall Q&A
The Director of the CDRH will hold an interactive discussion with attendees to detail the ongoing implementation of MDUFA reforms, and where the FDA is focusing its efforts to meet milestones and improve efficiencies.
- Jeffrey Shuren, M.D., Director, CDRH
12:15pm - 1:15pmNetworking Luncheon
The mission of MedTech and BioTech Veteran Program (MVP) is to identify thousands of military veterans, readying them for meaningful employment within a MedTech or BioTech organization. Hear about the 4-step process, "Recruit, Equip, Apply and Hire," and how you and your team can join this important work.
1:15pm - 2:15pmMid-Term Elections
- Mike Grice, Veteran Integration Officer, MedTech & BioTech Veterans Program (MVP)
- Michael Minogue, President & CEO, ABIOMED, Inc.
With control of Congress in the balance and a rapidly shifting electorate, hear from two leading strategists and veterans of numerous Presidential campaigns what to expect in 2014, and how that could impact your business.
- Stephanie Cutter, Partner, Precision Strategies & Co-Host, CNN's Crossfire
- Kevin Madden, Veteran Presidential Campaign Strategist
2:15pm - 2:30pmCongressional Fly-In Participants Depart for Capitol Hill
2:30pm - 5:00pm
Meet Your State Delegation on Capitol Hill - Congressional Fly-InCongressional Fly-In Meeting participants will attend Hill meetings with their respective Senators and Representatives to discuss issues affecting the medical technology industry.5:0pm - 7:00pmMDMA Chairman's ReceptionRegency BEnjoy networking with medical technology executives, government officials and other industry leaders while honoring a public official who is a strong voice in Congress to restore predictability and transparency in the regulatory process and to eliminate the onerous medical device tax.
- The Honorable Lamar Alexander, U.S. Senator (TN)
Friday, May 16, 2014
7:30am - 8:00am
8:00am – 8:30am
Day 2 of the Annual Meeting starts with a unique perspective on how government and federal policies can help shape the marketplace, and how Congress should provide bipartisan solutions to emerging challenges.
- The Honorable Al Franken, U.S. Senator (MN)
8:30am – 9:00am
Sean Cavanaugh, Director for the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation, will speak about the basics of new payment models under the health reform and what the agency is working on in the coming years.
- Sean Cavanaugh, Director of the Center for Medicare, CMS
9:00am – 9:45am
Protecting Your IP
As Congress looks to modify the patent laws for the 2nd time in 3 years, hear from leading patent experts on the best ways to protect your IP.
- Eb Bright, COO & General Counsel, ExploraMed Development
- Christine Lehman, Partner, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Aaron Parker, Attorney, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
9:45am – 10:00am
10:00am - 11:00am
Increasing compliance challenges can slow down operations, if not halt them completely. With growing scrutiny by international, federal and state authorities, one needs to carefully understand the various compliance issues the medical technology industry faces today.
- Jackie Huber, Vice President, Compliance, MDMA
- Adam Jones, Divisional General Counsel, Smiths Medical
- Benjamin Wallfisch, Associate, Norton Rose Fulbright
11:00am – 12:00pm
India, Brazil and the EU's Medical Device Markets: What will be the Impact of Political Change on their Regulatory Systems and Future?
For the past 16 months, the EU and emerging markets, such as India, have faced politically-induced uncertainty in their regulatory systems for medical technology. With the impending elections of new leaders in India and a new EU Parliament, what does the future hold for the industry in each region? How can and should businesses carry on?
- Amy Hariani, Director & Legal Counsel, U.S.-India Business Council (USIBC)
- Edward Rozynski, Vice President, Government Affairs, Intuitive Surgical
- N. Gerard Zapiain, Senior International Trade specialist, Health Industries, U.S. Department of Commerce
12:00pm – 1:00pm
Closing Buffet Luncheon
Sessions and speakers are subject to change without notice. MDMA reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any program, whereupon full registration fees will be refunded or applied to the rescheduled program in accordance with the registrant's preference. In the event of canceled programs, MDMA assumes no responsibility for transportation, hotel, or other expenses incurred by registrants.